1. YES -- Suddenly penny-pinching Cubs should give up farm for Halladay. It's Cubs' best way to enhance World Series prospects.
1a. NO -- Cubs are not likely to get this done.
2. YES -- Mets will sign Matt Holliday to massive contract. Think 6 years / $120 million for Scott Boras vehicle. But Wayward O isn't sure Queens team's headlong forward dive into further uncertainty will produce anything more than typical year-in, year-out chaos.
2a. DUNNO -- Should Mets do this? Hard to say. Maybe? (See: 2a.)
3. YES -- Boston Red Socks will get it done with Jason Bay. Oh sure he'll go out a-Courtin' and other GMs will put on feathers boas and finery ... but in end he'll stay in Boston. Because Boston needs firepowers to pretend they're still going to be in mix vs. FrankenYanks. So Bay gets fifth year and anudder pile o' loot to stash next to other pile.
3a. N0 -- World Series-purchasing Yankees aren't likely to make big splashes. Wayward O suspects Yankees feel they're loaded for bear for next couple years. Unless they sneak in winning bid somehow for a Jermaine Dye or Red Sox drop ball on Bay. They feel like Swish is lucky mascot and aren't in hurry to bolster outfield.
4. YEAH -- You know who is going to be out there making a play for Dye? Is surprising Braves, who need a bat or two for a 2010 playoff push against Phillies, who appear to be standing pat. Our buddy Miguel Tejada might end up on Bravos for year or two, as well, as Astros decide to get younger.
5. NO WAY -- San Francisco Giants aren't going to play role of stalking horse bidders only to be outgunned by overcaffeined, big-market Omar Minayas of world. There's no upper decky for Hideki in right field, but Godzilla could provide a few relatively inexpensive splashdowns in McCovey Cove as Gints seek return to postsesaon.
6. SORTA -- Last year Team's massive offer for Teixeira proved to be just such placeholder bid. Sadly. Team doesn't see itself as stalking horse bidder and offer for John Lackey will be serious.
6a. DUNNO --
6a. (1) -- If said offer will be made public or
6a. (2) -- If said offer will be successful
6b.YES -- Team has more loot than most teams. (See: 6a.)
7. YEAH -- Dodgers are mess. Hard to see them making real plays in FA market this year given War of Roses at top.
8. YES -- COREY PATTERS0N IS FREE AGENT!! (See: List.)
9. YES -- Your blog is MAD INFLUENTIAL!!!
Labels: arOund the big leagues